Saturday, September 19, 2015

How to Eat Healthy on a Budget

Good afternoon cupcakes!

Today I wanted to share with you How to Eat Healthy on a Budget. Eating healthy does not have to be expensive. Here is everything I purchased from the grocery this morning: 1 whole chicken, 2 red onions, 5 avocados, 3 limes, 5 sweet potatoes, 1 jicama, 1 jalapeno, 1 head of garlic, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 can coconut milk, 1 carton of egg white, 12 eggs, 12 bananas, 2 heads of cauliflower, and 1 container of sliced green onions. 


And here is my grocery bill: $39.93. That's less than 40 dollars and this is enough food for me to eat all week. That breaks down to about $1.90 per meal if I eat 3 meals per day for 7 days (I also eat other snacks throughout the week). 
First on my meal prep is shredded chicken. In a crockpot I placed 1 whole chicken. In the middle opening of the chicken I placed 2 sliced limes, 1 sliced red onion, and 4 cloves of pressed garlic. I sprinkled the chicken with pink Himalayan salt and cilantro. Next, I covered the chicken with water and placed on low in the crockpot. I will let this cook all day (around 6-8 hours). Tonight I will take out all the bones and shred the chicken. Discard the bones and add the chicken back into the crock pot with all the juices. Let it cook for another 3 hours. Then your chicken will be all juicy and tender!
My next prep involved cauliflower. I made mashed cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower (2 heads) on the stove in water until tender. Then, in a food processor add 1/2 the cauliflower, 2 T coconut oil, 2-3 cloves of pressed garlic, & pink Himalaya salt. Process until smooth. Add some green onions and pulse just until combined. Do the same thing to the other 1/2 of the cauliflower. 

Next on my prep schedule was sweet potato fries. I used my spiralizer and cut the sweet potatoes. I placed them on a foil lined baking sheet with coconut oil, 2-4 cloves of pressed garlic, and pink Himalayan salt. Cover the sweet potatoes with foil. I baked these in the oven on 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender. 
I also sliced the jicama and added coconut oil, pink Himalayan salt, and pressed garlic. I baked on foil lined pans (cover the jicama) in the oven at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until cooked to your preference. Here is what a jicama looks like:
These have the texture of a water chestnut. 

I will also be prepping some homemade guac using : avocados, cilantro, pink Himalayan salt, garlic powder, lime juice, and green onions. 

Eggs are what I will prep for breakfast using egg whites and eggs and green onions. I cook my eggs in coconut oil and usually top with homemade guac. I will most likely eat a banana with breakfast. 

Here is what my meal plan looks like:

Breakfast: egg whites, 1 whole egg, green onions, 2 T homemade guac, and 1 banana. 

Lunch: shredded chicken, sweet potatoes, and 2 T homemade guac

Dinner: shredded chicken and mashed cauliflower. 

Snack: homemade paleo banana pancakes (recipe below), go chomps jerky, paleonola, or go raw products. 

Paleo Pancakes

Ingredients:
1/3 c coconut flour
3 ripe bananas
6 eggs
coconut oil to cook with

Directions:
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Cook in a skillet with coconut oil. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this meal prep!

Later Taters xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Jicama is sooooo delicious! I like mind with homemade hummus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time having it and I absolutely loved it! I will be making it again :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing from readers, so feel free to comment below xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...